Washington, DC - On April 17th, 2008, pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) submitted a Citizen Petition calling on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to reclassify all weight loss support claims for dietary supplements as disease claims.
GSK was joined in this petition by three organizations that it generously supports: the American Dietetic Association, The Obesity Society and Shaping America’s Health. The organizations’ signatories included a lobbyist, a person who helped get obesity classified as a disease and a fundraising guru.
If the FDA were to agree with this petition, American consumers would be unarguably cheated out of hundreds of legally and responsibly marketed dietary supplement products. The stage would be set for challenges to other types of claims and for what could develop into irreparable damage to the dietary supplement industry and irrevocable losses to consumer choice.
So the questions are these:
1. Are we willing to see irreparable harm come to health food supplements?
2. Do we want Big Pharma to manipulate the tools of public redress to do this?
3. Do we want to offer the drug makers with an incalculable revenue boon while delivering a mortal wound to the natural products industry?
4. Do we want Big Pharma and the FDA to decide what sorts of products we can have access to?
5. Or do we want to keep our dearly won health freedoms?
If your answer is “No!” to the first four questions and “Yes!” to the very last question,
then you need to send your letter to the FDA today!