Happy New Year! Hope you got a little rest, because it's time to jump headfirst into 2013.
First up, on Monday, January 21st we'll need your help to launch #InaugurateDemocracy.
After a grueling election and the odious increase of money in politics, it’s more important than ever to remind elected officials that WE (the people, NOT corporations) voted and elected these folks to office. Their Inauguration Oath is a commitment to Represent US, not corporate interests.
This Inauguration Day, we need you to take action with us by joining #InaugurateDemocracy activities both on and offline.
Here’s the lowdown on how to #InaugurateDemocracy on Monday, Jan. 21st:
• Tweet about #InaugurateDemocracy to get money OUT of politics. Be sure to include @BarackObama or the handle of your Congressperson to make sure they get the message. Check out some of our sample tweets for inspiration.
• Post these great infographics on Facebook created by our friends at United Republic and Rootstrikers who are with us in the fight to limit money in politics.
• Rally in the Bay Area with Richmond residents alongside Global Exchange, Common Cause, and Public Citizen as we create a human billboard exposing how Chevron’s money pollutes our democracy and our planet.
• Join other Money Out Voters In rallies happening around the country.
• Sign our petition to Obama and Congress reminding them to Represent US, not corporate lobbyists.
• Deliver petitions: Will you be in DC for Inauguration Day? Join Global Exchange’s group photo and petition delivery.
I will be bringing our hundreds of petitions from San Francisco to officials in DC on Inauguration Day in order to make sure that Obama and Congress know about the hundreds of people and dozens of organizations across the country who are demanding that we #InaugurateDemocracy and get corporate money OUT of politics.
Will you sign on?
Here’s to starting the year off right,
Hillary V Lehr
P.S. Can you chip in a few dollars to help with my flight to bring petition signatures to DC? Every penny counts!