Obama wants to protect it, Congress wants to mine it.
Help stop uranium mining around the Grand Canyon!
A plan to protect the Grand Canyon from mining...
On June 20, Secretary of Interior Ken Salazar announced the Obama administration's intention to protect the Grand Canyon National Park from new mining.
The intention: set off-limits to new mining about 1 million acres of National Forest around the park... if further review confirmed the need.
...might be blocked by Congress!
Well, the review is over and -- thanks to more than 300,000 comments in support -- the plan to protect the Grand Canyon from mining is moving ahead!
Unless, that is, pro-mining-at-any-cost members of Congress get their way. They've introduced legislation to stop the plan to protect the Grand Canyon from new mining.
The bill, the Northern Arizona Mining and Continuity Act of 2011 (HR 3155/S 1690) would likely mean the go-ahead for 30 uranium mines threatening the Canyon, and perhaps more.
Congress needs to hear from you! The "mine-the-Grand Canyon-bill" is being considered this week by the House Natural Resources committee's subcommittee on National Parks.
Tell your Representative/Senators that uranium mines threaten public health, water, and ecosystems. And with the Grand Canyon -- through which flows the Colorado River, drinking water source to millions -- represents all three. Tell Congress to let the plan to protect the Canyon from uranium mining to proceed!
- Enter your zip code below so we can find your Representative.
- Read the sample letter that appears, and edit the letter text and subject header if you are able. Customized letters have a greater impact!
- Click "Send My Letter!" to send your letter to your Representative.
For more information:
- Interior Department: BLM Issues Final Environmental Impact Statement for Proposed Withdrawal from New Mining Claims near Grand Canyon
- Earthworks: Nuclear Power's Other Tragedy - Communities Living with Uranium Mining
- Environmental Working Group: Grand Canyon Threatened by Approval of Uranium Mining Activities
- Salt Lake Tribune: GOP-led bill opens up Grand Canyon area to mining