Protect the Chetco Wild and Scenic River!
Tell the Interior Secretary and Congress to
protect the Chetco from mining.
The Wild and Scenic Chetco River is renowned for world-class salmon & steelhead runs, and crystal clear water.
But it is still vulnerable to mining thanks to the General Mining Law of 1872 -- which gives mining precedence over all other uses.
Thankfully, the Interior Department is considering protecting 17 miles of river from mining for the next 5 years -- to give Congress time to pass more lasting protection.
Protect the Chetco! Photo: Ann Vileisis
But the clock is ticking! If the Interior Secretary, and Congress, don't act soon the river will be open to mining once again.
TAKE ACTION: Tell the Interior Secretary and Congress to protect the Chetco Wild and Scenic River from suction dredge mining.
- Save Our Chetco River
- National Wild and Scenic Rivers: Chetco River.
- Open Congress: Chetco River Protection Act.
- U.S. Forest Service: Temporary segregation of mineral entry on the Chetco Wild and Scenic River.
- Western Outdoor News: Chetco River yields four king salmon over 50 lbs in one week. News article.
- Send/amend the sample letter to the right. Personalized letters have a much greater impact.
- Click "send your message" to send your letter.
- SHARE this alert with your friends and family via the subsequent page. Share via email, Facebook, Twitter and/or Google+