Home Depot: Do the Right Thing, Dump Monsanto!
(Sign petition by scrolling to bottom of this page)
Monsanto's top retail product is RoundUp, broad-spectrum herbicide. Millions of pounds of RoundUp are used every year on gardens and lawns in the United States and 100 million pounds are applied annually on US farms.
Home Depot is the United States and Canada's largest home improvement chain and a major vendor of RoundUp.
Though RoundUp’s active ingredient, glyphosate, is considered by the Environmental Protection Agency to have a relatively low toxicity, RoundUp has been linked to numerous environmental and human health problems:
• Studies of farmers and other people exposed to glyphosate herbicides have shown that this exposure is linked with increased risks of the cancer non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, miscarriages, and attention deficit disorder. For each of the hazards identified in these studies there are also laboratory studies with results that are consistent with the studies of exposed people.
• There is also laboratory evidence that glyphosate herbicides can reduce production of sex hormones.
• Studies of glyphosate contamination of water are limited, but new results indicate that it can commonly contaminate streams in both agricultural and urban areas.
• Problems with drift of glyphosate herbicides occur frequently. Only one other herbicide causes more drift incidents.
• Glyphosate herbicides caused genetic damage and damage to the immune system in fish. In frogs, glyphosate herbicides caused genetic damage and abnormal development.
For more information on RoundUp and its active ingredient, glyphosate, please read the Northwest Coalitions Alternative to Pesticide's fact sheet.
Please sign the petition to the OCA's petition to the Home Depot below (Note: this is a petition, not a letter, so you cannot adjust the content)