Senators: Question Brennan and Other Admin Nominees on Drone Policy!
President Obama has announced his picks for his national security leadership team: Chuck Hagel at Defense, John Kerry at State, John Brennan at CIA. But first, each of these nominees must face a Senate confirmation hearing where Senators will be able to ask—and Administration nominees answer—questions about U.S. drone strike policy in open session.
Urge the President and the Senate to use this opportunity to increase the transparency and accountability of U.S. drone strike policy.
To those outside US: You do not have to select a state. Just leave the field blank.
Members of the United States Senate:
I urge you to use the Senate confirmation hearings on the leadership transition at the CIA, Defense, and State to increase the transparency and accountability of U.S. policy on drone strikes. In particular, I urge Senators to ask and Administration nominees to answer questions on the following concerns:
- The Washington Post and Human Rights Watch have called for CIA involvement in running drone strikes to end;
- Drone strike policy must be brought into full and transparent compliance with U.S. and international law;
- Drone strikes on rescuers and funerals must end;
- "Secondary," "follow-up," and "double-tap" strikes must end, as these put rescuers and civilians at unacceptable risk;
- Drone strikes on unknown people who have no known association with attacks on or threats to the United States must end;
- The U.S. must publish reports on civilian casualties and compensate civilian victims and their families;
- The legal justification for drone strikes must be published;
- Administration officials must publicly answer criticisms that the policy of drone strikes in Pakistan, Yemen, and Somalia is making more enemies for the United States.
|Number||Date||Name||Location||Add your comment here:|
|5444||Fri Nov 08 14:26:30 EST 2013||William G Gonzalez||Suffern, NY , US|
|5443||Wed Aug 21 17:18:19 EDT 2013||Erin Dascher||San Marcos, TX , US||The use of drones, piloted by American soldiers, that act as judge, jury, and executioner of human beings violate the U.S.'s principles of justice, due process, and equality for all. The United State;s
|5442||Sat Aug 17 04:18:21 EDT 2013||Carlos Garcia Durazo||Amsterdam, ot , NL|
|5441||Thu Aug 01 15:38:30 EDT 2013||Lynne Banta||Los Angeles, CA , US|
|5440||Thu Jul 25 16:24:35 EDT 2013||Lynne Banta||Los Angeles, CA , US|
|5439||Mon Jul 15 12:33:02 EDT 2013||Lynn Berg||Woodside, NY , US|
|5438||Sun Jul 07 15:30:18 EDT 2013||Anonymous||Clarksville, IN , US||Obama must be held accountable to the people he works for. The military is bound by law and chain of command to follow their commander in chief. Obama has forgot who put him in office and who he is accountable More....|
|5437||Tue Apr 16 01:38:56 EDT 2013||Anonymous||Los Angeles, CA , US|
|5436||Wed Mar 27 00:37:10 EDT 2013||Anonymous||Houston, TX , US|
|5435||Wed Mar 06 23:35:48 EST 2013||Douglas Hull||Youngstown, OH , US|
|5434||Tue Mar 05 16:20:36 EST 2013||William G Gonzalez||Suffern, NY , US|
|5433||Mon Mar 04 10:32:22 EST 2013||dieter hils||louisville, CO , US|
|5432||Wed Feb 20 22:07:48 EST 2013||john pope||lake park, FL , United States|
|5431||Wed Feb 20 18:03:42 EST 2013||Emma Spurgin Hussey||Burdett, NY , US|
|5430||Tue Feb 19 18:04:25 EST 2013||Ziad Khan||Centreville, VA , US|
|5429||Mon Feb 18 13:13:49 EST 2013||Emma Spurgin Hussey||Burdett, NY , US|
|5428||Mon Feb 18 13:13:43 EST 2013||Emma Spurgin Hussey||Burdett, NY , US|
|5427||Sat Feb 16 17:47:06 EST 2013||Ann Brown||Madison heights, MI , US|
|5426||Sat Feb 16 17:15:33 EST 2013||Raquel Colon||Clearwater, FL , US|
|5425||Tue Feb 12 14:45:55 EST 2013||mauricio carvajal||santiago, ot , CL|
|5424||Sat Feb 09 16:39:46 EST 2013||Kimberly Wiley||Rochester, NY , US|
|5423||Sat Feb 09 13:33:43 EST 2013||Paul Madarasz||Tucson, AZ , US|
|5422||Thu Feb 07 04:30:34 EST 2013||Emma Spurgin Hussey||Burdett, NY , US|
|5421||Wed Feb 06 11:08:45 EST 2013||Emma Spurgin Hussey||Burdett, NY , US|
|5420||Tue Feb 05 23:43:46 EST 2013||Michael Thomas||Merchantville, NJ , US||If the President feels this is a CLEAN way of fighting, hes mistaken!|