UU Justice Action (JustAct) News
November 2012: Call with Walmart Workers, Monday Nov. 5th at 4 pm EDT, Show Them Some Love + More Resources!
At Justice GA, Kim Bobo, Executive Director of Interfaith Worker Justice (IWJ), spoke about faith communities supporting low wage and migrant workers and their Walmart campaign. The day after Thanksgiving, so-called “Black Friday,” is the biggest shopping day of the year. IWJ and Standing on the Side of Love are asking congregations and community organizations to “show Walmart workers some love" at a Walmart near them on that day. You can learn more about the campaign and find an event near you or plan one, with a short prayer vigil and deliver a letter to the store manager on that day in support of Organization United for Respect (OUR Walmart) at IWJ's website and at www.uua.org.
You can join the interfaith community on a call Monday, November 5th at 4pm (Eastern) to hear a report from a Walmart worker and learn more about how you can support them.
The call-in number is (760) 569-0111 and the participant access code is 1085004#.
Best Practice: Members of the Universalist Unitarian Church of Joliet, IL participated in a rally and act of civil disobedience to support the striking workers at the Walmart warehouse in Elwood, IL. Read more about their event, next steps, and how your congregation can join the campaign to help Walmart workers!
This month’s November Social Justice Bulletin includes resources and information for congregational justice ministries on:
- LGBTQ: Nov 20th: Transgender Day of Remembrance
- Economic Justice: Nov 23rd: Show Walmart Workers Some Love
- Immigration Justice: Through November - A Wish for the Holidays children’s letter writing campaign
- Standing on the Side of Love: Save the Date for 30 Days of Love – Jan and Feb 2013
- Reproductive Justice: New curriculum for congregations - Nov 1st
- Racial Justice: The New Jim Crow Common Read 2012-2013
- Liturgical Calendar: UU Social Justice Calendar 2012-2013
- Social Justice Award for Congregations – due March 15th
- Social Witness Process – Submit Comments on Immigration & Reproductive Justice - opens Nov 15th
Tomorrow, we say goodbye to Kat Liu, Witness Ministries Program Associate, who is leaving the UUA after six years. We are so grateful for her justice ministry, her acumen and insight. We wish her well in her future endeavors as she returns to her native California and we will miss her.
In faith, Audra, Craig, Jessica, Kat, Meredith, Susan, and Taquiena - UUA Witness Ministries Team
See www.uua.org/justice for resources, organizing campaigns, stories, and more!