UU Justice Action (JustAct) News
April 2012: Justice GA Witness at Tent City, Earth Day, Faithful Budget & More!
Dear Congregational Leaders:
This month’s issue features a best practice on the exciting collaboration of UU MA state network, Mass Bay/Clara Barton District, and member congregations organizing together for immigrant rights and a big turnout for Justice GA! See below for information on Justice GA, the Witness at Tent City, and a pre-GA training. UU congregations across the country will pray as the U.S. Supreme Court begins hearings on Arizona’s draconian SB1070 law on April 25th. This year's UU Ministry for Earth's theme for Earth Day, April 22nd, is Connecting the Dots Between Environmental Justice & Immigration. For information, resources, and worship materials, see UUMFE's website. Lastly, scroll down for new resources on the Faithful Budget Campaign and see the April Congregational Bulletin below for reproductive justice stories.
Audra, Craig, Dan, Jessica, Kat, Meredith, Schuyler, Susan, and Taquiena
UUA Witness Ministries Team - See www.uua.org/justice for resources, campaign stories, and more!
Just Act Best Practice: Organizing for Immigrant Rights & Justice GA! The UUA Mass Bay/Clara Barton District and UU Mass Action (State Advocacy Network) are hosting a series of workshops across Massachusetts for UUs to learn more about Justice GA and join a statewide immigrant rights campaign. The workshops include a screening of the Frontline documentary Lost in Detention produced by Maria Hinojosa (this year’s GA Ware Lecturer). (Congregations can view the film here.) Local immigrant rights organizers are speaking about immigrant needs and concerns and strategizing with UUs about how to stand on the side of love together. See Clara Barton/Mass Bay District website for more info. Turnout at the workshops has been great and Mass UUs are planning on showing up for justice in Phoenix big time!
Witness: US Supreme Court Hears SB1070 on April 25 — Pray for Justice! The U.S. Supreme Court will begin hearing the case regarding Arizona’s infamous anti-immigration law SB1070 on April 25. We’re asking all our congregations to pray for the court to exercise wisdom and compassion in their ruling. On April 13, see our Immigration webpages for the prayer by Rev. Marta Valentin. The New Sanctuary Movement Coalition of NYC is calling for a Jericho Walk around the Supreme Court. For more information, contact Ravi Ragbir, Director of the NYC New Sanctuary Movement at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Resource: UUA Joins Interfaith Community Call for a Faithful Budget: The Priorities for a Faithful Budget is a set of comprehensive and compassionate budget principles that will protect the common good, value each individual, and help lift the burden on those living in poverty. Rev. Craig Roshaven, UUA Witness Ministries Director says: “We are proud to stand in solidarity with other faith communities in calling on Congress and the Obama Administration to enact a budget that will move us toward a more economically just society.” Learn more about the Faithful Budget Coalition and see the coalition priorities online.
Pre-Justice GA Event: SAVE THE DATE – GET TO GA EARLY! Pre-GA Gathering & Training: Building Powerful Networks for Effective Advocacy & Organizing!
Wednesday, June 20th, 1-4 pm
Join leaders from the UU State Advocacy Networks (SAN), congregation-based community organizations, and Witness Ministries staff. We’ll share best practices and strategies for achieving success at the state and federal level and tools for engaging congregations. A detailed agenda will be available by May 1st. Let us know what you would like to see included at this event. Please RSVP by June 1st to Nancy Banks, SAN Coordinator, at email@example.com.
Justice GA: Registration and housing is now open for Justice GA! Rates go up May 1st, so register this month!
Highlights: Our Arizona Immigration Ministry is planning some powerful witness events in partnership with Puente, the local barrio committees, National Day Labor Organizing Network, SOMOS, and others to support their campaign to remove Sheriff Joe Arpaio from office, overturn SB1070 and its spread to other states, stop the mass detention and deportation of immigrants, and human rights abuses at the border. We need to fix our broken immigration system that is breaking families apart. An interfaith candlelight vigil at Sheriff Arpaio's infamous 'Tent City' will be held on Saturday night.
Featured speakers include:
- Isabel Garcia, Public Defender’s Office of Pima County in Tucson, AZ and Director of Coalición de Derechos Humanos
- Dr. Michelle Alexander, author of The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness
- Kim Bobo, Exec. Dir of Interfaith Worker Justice and author of Wage Theft in America
- Pablo Alvarado, Director of National Day Labor Organizing Network and other NDLON staffers
- Carlos Garcia of Puente and Salvador Reza of Committees for Defense of the Barrios
- Donna Redwing, Director of Grassroots Leadership, on shutting down private detention centers
- Randy Parraz, who led the recall of Senator Russell Pearce (author of SB1070)
- Margaret Regan, author of Death of Josseline
- Leaders from the “Dreamers” (Student Immigrant Dream Act organizers), Occupy and more!
- Youth and Young Adult Program: Linda Stout and Manauvaskar Kublall of Spirit in Action & Power Up Networks will lead a three hour session on Collective Visioning. Great for youth groups!
There will also be opportunities for service and voter registration with Mi Familia Vota and getting to know each other at a community dinner and celebration!
April Congregational Justice Bulletin features information and resources for congregations on:
- Earth Day 2012 – April 22 - Connecting the Dots Between Environmental Justice & Immigration
- US Supreme Court Hearts SB1070 on April 25— Pray for Justice!
- Faith Advocates for Jobs Campaign
- Reproductive Justice & UUs: Stories Wanted!
- Feedback Needed for Immigration as a Moral Issue Curriculum
- Ways to Deepen Your Congregation’s Multicultural Welcome